We often took note of commencement speeches given by notable speakers at various graduation ceremonies.
The convocation day is very important for any student. Usually it is the last day of training thyself to face the real world challenges. Some words of inspiration and especially wisdom are the final touch up to the skills earned by the student the hard way.
We strongly believe that apart from our abilities, actually our decisions are far more responsible for our past, present and the future.
Today we are going to talk about some points we learnt from the commencement speech by Tony Morrison at Wellesley College, Wellesley, Massachusetts USA on May 28, 2004.
We found the commencement speech available at the public domain of YouTube, uploaded by user “The Film Archives” at:
It is worth to note that Tony Morrison was born as Chloe Ardelia Wofford on February 18, 1931. She is known for her work in the field of literature. She won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1988 for her book beloved. She also won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1993.
The humble start of her speech is enough to let us learn about her human attributes. She starts with the words of praise and appreciation for the entire team for their great work in the field of education.
Some of the key points we found interesting and worth to take a not about in this summarized article are:
- We need to love the world for what it is.
- Letting someone else decide what to do and what not to, means, you are not mature enough to take wise decisions. You have to be mature and wise enough to take responsible decision.
- Don’t be jailed in any time-frame considering it the best time of your life.
- Your presence here on Earth is a very large part your doing.
- Everyone is a very specific and unique person.
- You are your own stories and therefore free to imagine and experience what it means to be human without wealth.
- No one have full control over the life story, but one could nevertheless create it.
So we understand that, life has all attributes the good and the bad, it is your call to chose wisely and intelligently to take right decisions.
Remember that this is not word to word translation or transcription of the speech. These are our summarized views about the inspirational stuff we found in this fantastic speech. What are your views about this commencement speech? Do let us know your remarks via comments below.
You may also like to read our summarized views regarding some other commencement speeches, which we found interesting, inspirational, motivational and got a chance to write about. What you think about this commencement speech? Do share your reviews and views via comments below. And yes, do not forget to share this article with your friends over various social networks via Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus and others. And yes, you may like to subscribe to our RSS feeds and follow us on various Social networks to get latest updates for the site to land right in your mail box.