Drew Houston was the keynote speaker at the commencement ceremony of the class of 2013 at the MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). Drew Houston is better known as the founder of Dropbox. A phenomenon that change the way of sharing documents across multiple devices.
As Drew is a successful entrepreneur he definitely have a lot of words of wisdom to share with us all. As the commencement video is available on YouTube for public, everyone of us can access it and get inspired with.
Here is the video:
Below given is the summary of the speech from our point of view. The speech starts with his personal experiences of starting a company. He importantly manages the fun quotient in his speech. He also shares his experiences of choosing wrong degree to go for (in terms of personal like and dislike for the subject – he was doing MBA at that time, by the way).
- Love what you do – is something like a compromise. Do what you love.
- The main problem with planning our life is the life is unpredicable and we want to achieve everything as soon as possible.
- The best part of the journey is to learn new things.
- Do what you love is not enough. You must be obsessed with it. And important it should lead to resolve a problem. A problem not only for you but other also face the same.
- Hear your inner voice.
- Just working hard is not enough. It is kind of pushing yourself. It is meaningless if you do not find joy in doing same.
- Surrounding yourself with the people who inspire you is just as important as being talented or working hard.
- Your inner circle (say 5 of your most important contact which are near your heart and mind) pushes you to do better and be better.
- Where you live matters a lot (in terms of getting opportunity, getting chance and resources to grab the opportunity and fulfill the challenge, and more reasons…)
- Your heroes (or idols) are part of your inner circle, so follow them.
- Fastest way of learning is doing.
- Failures doesn’t matter, you have to be right person who does the right things.
- Every you are writing a few more words to your story!
- Make sure you think your story should be adventurous.
What is your vision for this speech? Do share your remarks via comments below. And yes, do not forget to share it with your friends via various social networks like FaceBook, Google Plus, Twitter, Reddit and more…